To find Chinese records, you'll need names in Chinese
Have an ancestor's name... but only in letters?
The first step is to find the characters, since family history records in China are written in Chinese.
The bad news— there can be multiple spellings for one name, and spellings can vary based on dialect, ancestral place, and the country of migration.
The good news— our experts are here to help!
How it Works
First, we'll ask you for information that can help us narrow down the possibilities.
This will include possible dialects spoken by your ancestor, where they came from in China, and where they migrated to abroad.
If you don't know everything that's OK, our experts will work with what you have!
You'll receive the results in a report containing:
- Possible characters for your ancestor's full name.
- The meaning of each character.
- A list of possible combinations that could make up your ancestor's Chinese name.
- Both simplified and traditional Chinese characters.
- Recommended next steps on how to continue your research.