As featured in the Netflix documentary, Found (2021)
Our China-based experts have 10+ years experience helping people of Chinese ancestry discover their origins.
Field Research in China
Preserving & Storytelling
Roots Trips to China
Adoption Research in China
Even though I am a professional historian myself, I never could have done this kind of research on my own. Thank you, My China Roots!
How it Works
- Start a (free) conversation with us about your goals and what you know so far.
- We'll give you some advice— for free and with no obligations!
- If you are interested, we'll send you a proposal according to your budget and goals.
- You'll also get to meet your paired researcher, who will be your personal agent in China.
- Once the project has started, you'll receive timely updates throughout your project from your researcher.
- Once complete, we will review our findings together and answer any questions you might have.
Receive a beautifully crafted digital report—perfect for sharing with the whole family.Explore our live demo ➞
Working with My China Roots
Finding your family history does not happen overnight. For many, it is a lifelong experience that can be highly rewarding, exhilarating, and personal.
Even if we are only joining you for part of the ride, we do not take the task of conducting your search lightly! As family historians, we are here to support you every step of the way, celebrate your stories as they come to light, and do it all at your own pace.
LIU Jingwen / 刘静雯Research Manager
When she’s not binge-watching anime, Jingwen loves listening to the life stories of older generations. A diligent resear...Read More ➞
Miaoyi Huang / 黄妙怡Research Officer
Born in Foshan, Guangdong Province, Miaoyi always assumed Toisan was her great grandmother's hometown since her great gr...Read More ➞
CHAN Wai-kwan / 陈伟坤Research Officer
For Wai-kwan, a love for history runs in his blood. As a 26th-generation Hakka Chinese (客家 or “guest people”), he brings...Read More ➞
Zhang Jiasheng / 张嘉晟Research Officer
Growing up in Guangzhou, Jiasheng always believed their family was strictly Cantonese. It wasn’t until he returned to hi...Read More ➞